July 29, 2016
We’re pretty sure that ice cream sundaes are the perfect dessert – delightfully euphoric and infinitely customizable. So when a sundae bar is on the menu, you gotta make sure you have all the fixings. Sprinkles. Nuts. Pretzels. Marshmallows. Cookie crumbles. Brownies. You get the idea.
And, of course, the ooey-gooey toppings. You’re not going to skip out on chocolate fudge and caramel, are you?
No, you’re not. Because you’re not a monster.
And you’re in luck: our Flavor Gurus have recently perfected an easy, amazingly delicious approach to the toppings bar. The possibilities are endless, and best of all, you can make and serve them right from your slow cooker.
Here's How To Do It
- Put enough hot water into your slow cooker that it comes about halfway up the sides of your mason jars.
- Turn it onto the "low" or "keep warm" setting.
- Pour 1 cup of chocolate chips (semi-sweet, milk, white, or dark) into each mason jar (they should be about 2/3 full).
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to each jar.
- Put the jars into the now-hot water in your slow cooker. Be careful not to get water in your chocolate, because this will make the chocolate grainy instead of smooth and silky.
- While the chocolate chips are melting, chop your favorite hard candy, cookies, or nuts into small, stir-able bits (about 1/4-inch).
- Remove the jars of melted chocolate from the crock and stir in the topping pieces. If the chocolate is too thick, you can add more vegetable oil.
- Return jars to slow cooker for serving.
- Drizzle your chocolate creations over your favorite Ben & Jerry's ice cream flavors. The chocolate will firm up to become a crunchy, chunky, flavorful shell.
You can pair just about any type of chocolate chip and crunchy stir-ins, but we were head over heels for these 5 combos:1. Milk chocolate with chopped peanuts and crushed peanut butter toffee (paired with Chunky Monkey)
2. Milk chocolate with pecans and toasted coconut (paired with Americone Dream)
3. White chocolate with crushed peppermint and chocolate cookies (paired with Chocolate Therapy)
4. Dark chocolate with almonds and english toffee (paired with Cherry Garcia)
5. Marshmallow fluff with dried raspberries and coconut (paired with Vanilla)
Our Top 5 Favorite Pie and Ice Cream Pairings
Forget vanilla for pie à la mode. You're going to want to save room for dessert with these 5 incredible pie and ice cream pairings.
RECIPE: Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Slices
A slice of heaven for peanut butter lovers! Whip up this recipe for Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream Slices and impress your whole crew.