Let’s round up some quick facts:
- Sixteen of the seventeen hottest years ever measured have been since the year 2001.
- The UNHCR estimates that climate change could cause the displacement of as many as 1 billion people across the world by 2050.
- In 2016 alone, the US saw 15 weather and climate events related to climate change that each reached over $1 billion in damages.
- Sea level rise has reached unprecedented extremes, with many cities pouring money into flood prevention systems. Miami, Florida alone is spending $100 million to save their beaches from flooding.
But as scary as that sounds, there is good news:
- Global solar power production has risen by over 50% in the last few years.
- Germany has surfaced as a leader in renewable energy, now getting 85% of their power from renewable sources.
- Worldwide, 9.8 million people are employed in renewable energy jobs.
- Over 1,400 US cities, states, and businesses have remained committed to the Paris Climate Accord, despite the Trump administration’s announcement to leave it.
If Al Gore’s 2006 film ‘An Inconvenient Truth’ taught us anything, it was that climate change is real, and it’s happening now. There’s no denying it, and there’s no running away from it. But a lot has happened since then, and now we have the solutions to fight it.
Al Gore has had climate on his mind — and his agenda — for the last four decades. Through political action, nonprofit organizations, books, and his film ‘An Inconvenient Truth’, the former Vice President has been a lifelong advocate for comprehensive climate action. This year, his oeuvre continues to grow, with the release of ‘An Inconvenient Sequel: Truth to Power’ which will be available in select theaters on July 28th and nationwide on August 4th.
We can no longer hide from the truth. Get the facts, and see what you can do to speak truth to power and make the move toward a safer future for ourselves and our planet.
Find it at a theater near you!
Need an even sweeter reason to see 'An Inconvenient Sequel'? We've got one! Come see the show August 5th, 6th, 12th, or 13th at any of these Landmark theaters and the first 50 people through the door will receive a coupon for a FREE pint of Ben & Jerry's!
Atlanta, GA: Landmark Midtown
Burlington, VT: Merrill’s Roxy 6
Boston, MA: Landmark Kendall
Los Angeles, CA: The Landmark
Miami, FL: Landmark Merrick Park
San Francisco, CA: Landmark Embarcadero, Landmark Piedmont, Landmark Shattuck
Seattle, WA: SIFF Uptown
Washington, DC: Landmark Bethesda
New York, NY: City Cinemas Beekman 1 & 2