Job Title: PR Manager
Location: South Burlington, VT
ABOUT THIS ROLE
This position will strategically manage, develop and execute media public relations and strategic media programs primarily focused on the US while supporting Canada and global PR needs in order to drive brand awareness and engagement with media and digital media of our core values, products and campaigns.
Given Ben & Jerry’s unique position as a values and mission led business, the ability to build excellent relationships within the media is an essential part of our PR and earned media strategy. We are looking for people who can ultimately leverage the marketing excellence, operational effectiveness – while progressing the 3 part mission, history of authentic values led activations, and community of connectivity within Ben & Jerry’s. Having the right energy and attitude to connect our unique brand and structure as part of the larger Unilever business will be critical for success.
ABOUT BEN & JERRY’S
Ben & Jerry's Homemade Inc., started in 1978 in a renovated gas station in Burlington, Vermont, USA, founded by childhood friends and dedicated activists Ben Cohen and Jerry Greenfield. In 2000 Ben & Jerry’s became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Unilever with the remainder of an independent Board of Directors to provide leadership focused on preserving and expanding Ben & Jerry's social mission, brand integrity, and product quality.
Ben & Jerry’s has an inspiring ambition to use its position as beloved ice cream company to advance progressive social change. This translates into a fast-paced environment married with an uncompromising grassroots and activist spirit. That is how we remain a true progressive values led organization with a connected 3-part mission that are reflected in our KPI’s:
- Social mission: We initiate innovative ways to improve the quality of life locally, nationally and internationally specifically on Climate Justice and Social Justice, Racial Justice, and Economic Justice
- Product mission: We make and distribute the finest quality natural ice cream and euphoric concoctions
- Economic mission: We operate our Company for sustainable, Profitable financial growth
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES
Establish and support the Public Relations and earned media strategy, new products launches and Social Mission and activism campaigns. Support the dynamic and evolving integrated marketing activities and social media events model by combining traditional PR with content marketing, social media and search activities; transforming static news into conversations both with media as well as supporting those speaking directly to Ben & Jerry’s target audience online.
- Manages, plans and oversees PR execution of multi-faceted programs, new ice cream and Non-Dairy innovations, dough chunks, and other product launches, marketing campaigns and social mission endeavors.
- Partner with and support the Activism and Integrated Marketing teams to develop communications strategies to drive impact on the social movements Ben & Jerry’s supports. This can include developing key messaging, communications hierarchy, and proactive and reactive plans specific to activism campaigns.
- Manages PR Department annual operational budget, incoming invoices, Purchase Orders and expenses. Serve as department liaison with the Finance Department to track budget.
- Establishes a working relationship between the Company and its official PR agency of record and supporting partners.
- Create ways of working for public relations/communications to better support integrated marketing and improve synergies around campaigns, content, events and activities.
- Supports national company events as necessary in the field working with internal team and agencies to bring Ben & Jerry’s experiential to fans
- Works to develop story ideas for new initiatives, and new product lines, as well as general consumer interest stories that support the B&J’s brand while re-purposing of stories and content in order to produce creative & authentic storytelling opportunities to our fans.
- Brainstorms and executes grassroots and guerilla quick turn opportunities when they present themselves.
- Builds relationships with internal and external audiences including but not limited to media, franchisees, key partners, influencers and necessary internal and external contacts.
- Support Retail Operations to create and set PR goals specifically to enhance local and regional franchise public relations. PR goals include media relations and possible event management.
- Manages press relations including such activities as preparation of news releases and feature articles, as well as the coordination and arrangement of interviews between company executives and content area experts for online, press, radio, and television coverage.
- Oversee the development and implementation of special projects that relate to Public Relations and brand awareness of Ben & Jerry’s.
- Work cross functionally and globally to create repeatable models that are scalable.
- Assist in management and negotiation of contract terms with outside vendors.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor degree in relevant subject or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated high performance, 5+ years of Manager level experience working within a public relations field with hands on experience constructing public relations communications, as well as implementing and executing effective strategies and management of programs.
- Demonstrated experience working on external communications within an advocacy and/or political campaign seeking policy and/or narrative change is a plus.
- A team player attitude putting the business in front of individual, while still possessing strong influencing skills are required in order to cultivate relationships across the B&J community.
- Ability to influence traditional media to shape stories and/or release with key campaign messages.
- The candidate needs to possess strong public speaking abilities and demonstrate ability to facilitate and preside at presentations.
- Global business level communication knowledge and experience is beneficial.
- A passion for pushing boundaries within public relations work in collaboration with others in our community and capability to inspire other disciplines while bringing them along throughout your process.
- High level organizational and time management skills are required while always maintaining attention to detail through the planning and preparation processes.
- Established proficiency when working with internal and external partners to create collaborative stakeholder alignment to work across complex global matrix organization.
- Have demonstrated Manager level crisis communication experience, skills and abilities.
- Be all in to support the company’s mission, and therefore experience with a values-led, socially responsible company is beneficial.
OUR PEOPLE PROFILE
To support out 3-part mission, Ben & Jerry’s also has an outspoken people-mission. We look for people with these characteristics to strengthen our team:
- Purpose-driven: passion and drive to make a real impact with our social mission agenda
- Empathy: curious to collaborate with a variety of personalities and styles and to build excellent relationships with internal & external stakeholders
- Mastery: continuously learn and develop to remain an expert in your functional area
- Autonomy: dare to make choices and take ownership
- Activism: interested in bringing about political or social change
- Equity: recognizing power dynamics and how biases play out in interactions throughout society; this awareness and these skills are necessary so that throughout our business we engage respectfully and make decisions fairly
The above cited duties and responsibilities describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all the duties and responsibilities that an incumbent may be expected to perform.