- 1 pint Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Cherry Garcia ice cream, softened
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 2-1/2 tsp. instant or active dry yeast
- 1 15-oz. can of dark sweet cherries, drained and chopped (save the juice!)
- 1 cup bitter or semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 tbsp. melted butter
- 2-4 tbsp. cherry juice, saved from drained cherries
- pinch of salt
Mix together all the ingredients for the rolls either in a stand mixer using the dough hook attachment or by hand.
Knead until you have a smooth, soft cohesive ball of dough. You may find you need to add a touch more flour if your dough is too sticky. Ideally you will have a smooth ball of dough that does not stick to the sides of your bowl.
Place the dough in a large greased bowl, and set in a warm place to rise for 1 to 1-1/2 hours. The dough should be noticeably puffier, but not necessarily twice the size.
When dough has risen, gently deflate and roll into a large rectangle, roughly 16” by 20”.
Spread the chopped cherries and chocolate evenly on top of the dough.
Starting with the short side, roll the dough into a log and cut into 12 slices. Place rolls on a greased 9x13 pan, cover, and allow to rise for 60-90 minutes in a warm spot until doubled in size. They should be large enough to be touching one another. Toward the end of the rising process, preheat the oven to 375° F. Uncover the buns and bake them for 22-25 minutes or until they are firm to the touch and noticeably darkening.
While the buns are baking, prepare the glaze. In a small bowl, combine
the sifted powdered sugar, salt, and the melted butter.
Add the reserved cherry juice 1 tablespoon at a time until the desired drizzling consistency is reached.
Remove the buns from the oven and allow to cool a bit.
While the buns are still warm, drizzle the glaze evenly on top.
To serve, top buns with a scoop of Ben & Jerry’s Cherry Garcia or Chocolate Cherry Garcia ice cream and enjoy!