How Know Your Rights Camp Helped Change the World in 2022
It’s been inspiring for us to partner with Colin Kaepernick and his team to support Know Your Rights Camp (KYRC), the organization he founded to empower Black and Brown youth, strengthen Black and Brown communities, and elevate and amplify the voices of the next generation of racial-justice leaders.
In 2021, we launched the ridiculously delicious vegan flavor, Change the Whirled, with proceeds going to help KYRC take its mission nationwide
In 2022, that’s exactly what KYRC did. So, while we all gear up for the Big Game this Sunday, let’s check in with KYRC and highlight some of the work they’ve done over the past year.
Helping Black and Brown Communities Thrive and Succeed
In 2022, KYRC:
1. Provided more than 30,000 meals to people struggling with food and housing insecurity— including 600 meals a week to kids experiencing homelessness in Southern California.
2. Resumed in-person camps for the first time since the pandemic started, working with youth and community leaders to learn about local histories, legal rights, mental and holistic health, education, finance, tech, and the power of art to change the world.
3. Implemented monthly activations with community organizers across the country (with a particular focus on San Francisco/Oakland and New York/New Jersey) to distribute supplies and joy. KYRC’s community output included more than 1000 backpacks, 300 masks… and 1,200 euphoric servings of "Change the Whirled"!
4. Completed a two-year partnership with the National Lawyers Guild (NLG) to assist protesters and the disenfranchised in the fight for justice and liberation by:
- Supporting 81,945 protesters, 21 arrest hotlines, 25 jail-support programs, and 21 bail or defense funds
- Mobilizing 3,733 new volunteers
- Helping 13,065 arrestees with attorney referrals, hotline calls, jail support, and connections to bail or legal defense funds.
5. Provided 23 pallets of water to Jackson, Mississippi, to help with the water crisis caused by extreme weather and systemic racism.
6. Completed 40 autopsies free of charge for victims' families who have lost loved ones due to a police-related death through their Autopsy Initiative.
Kicking Off A New Year of Activism in Phoenix
Motivated and inspired by KYRC’s accomplishments last year, we wanted to hit the ground running in 2023. That’s why we teamed up with KYRC again to host a Changed the Whirled Neighborhood Block Party in Phoenix, host city of the Big Game.
On February 12, 1-5 pm, we’ll be at the Grassrootz Bookstore & Juice Bar to celebrate Phoenix and its amazing people, history, and culture. There will be free food, free entertainment, new art inspired by the community and, of course, free scoops of Change the Whirled!
Join us, KYRC, Arizona Indigenous artist Douglas Miles, Sr., and our friend, artist/activist BMike on February 12 to kick start another year empowering Black and Brown youth and spreading joy on the journey to justice.
Sweeten Up Your Inbox!
Subscribe Now And We'll Make Sure You Get The Inside Scoop On Ben & Jerry's Fun And Flavors! It's Like Dessert For Your Inbox, And You're Going To Want Seconds.
Thanks for signing up for our newsletter!
There was an error sending your request.
3 Easy, Dorm-Friendly Recipes
Now that you've moved in and met the new roommate, it's time to start perfecting those late-night munchables. Luckily we have 3 that you're going to be making on repeat this semester.
QUIZ: What Should I Order At The Scoop Shop?
So many delicious choices, so little time! Take the quiz to find your perfect Scoop Shop order.